Sunday, July 02, 2006

Hackman and The Conversation

Netflix continues to grow in my estimation as one of the greatest uses of cyberspace yet devised. On its recommendation (based on about 300+ movies I’ve rated) I checked out The Conversation (1974) starring Gene Hackman. Hackman plays Harry Caul—a brilliant recluse who is one of the “top men” in the field of surveillance. The supporting cast is full of up-and-comers that went on to make it big, including a very young Harrison Ford, Terri Garr and Cindy Williams. There's also a bit performance by a not-so-young, but still-on-the-rise Robert Duvall.

While I’m sure some who view the film today will probably find the eavesdropping aspect particularly prescient, I found it merely an instrument to tell one of the most poignant stories of loneliness I’ve ever seen since Taxi Driver. As such, it’s not a real feel-good movie, just a brilliant bit of cinema that satisfies in a way too many of today's vapid flicks won't.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Gene Hackmann kicks ass, no matter what year the movie was made. Oh, and can Cindy Williams really be considered as "making it big"? I mean she's only really known for one character. But I guess if you're counting piece work she did have parts in quite a few shows/movies over the years.

Marty McKee said...

Do you have any idea how rich Cindy Williams is?

Mike said...

No. How rich is she?