Monday, December 05, 2005

Another quick one

No pics from Florida just yet. I will post some links to those tonight. This weekend however was a barnburner. If I can get pics from that, they'll go up tonight too. The Horizon 20th Anniversary Christmas Party was Saturday night and it was easily the best Christmas party I've ever been to--and I mean any Christmas party, not just the "company" variety. At the heart of the festivities was the Blooze Brothers Band from Chicago. They had a thumping rhythm section, powerful horn section and a pair of go go dancers, all of which added up to a room full of happy feet.

Now I don't like dancing much, but when I hear good old soul or R&B, I simply can't sit still. I think Laurie and I were on the dance floor for about 80% of the songs. They did just about everything from the Blues Brothers soundtrack, with the mildly disappointing exception of She Caught the Katie and the "c'mon and shake your tail feathers" song by Ray Charles. They did do Georgia on My Mind though. The highlight of the evening was a dance off between R3 and my father. Dad threw down the gauntlet at the beginning of the evening when he made the opening remarks. Naturally, Ralph was only too happy to oblige. There should be some good pics that Stevie Wonder took which I can post later.

Earlier--much, much earlier--that morning I joined Cousin Kellner, the amazing Pat Brown and John Gilman for a fruitless hunting expedition. Oh I saw about 20 something birds but didn't kill a one of them. Its a painful story that is still too burdensome to tell right now. Maybe later. But between walking my tuckus off in frozen fields all morning and then dancing it off that night, I was gassed by the time I got home. Sunday was indeed a day of rest. Laurie and I lounged around a bit and then joined the folks for a little brunch later.

In other news I've been ignoring the news and I'm feeling much better for it. Oh, sure I'll check out the internet now and again to keep abreast of the major headlines, but I'm finding a lack of talk radio and talking heads most beneficial to my overall outlook on life right now. Besides, I've got bigger fish to fry with the impending nuptials. Jill, Carrie, and Marnie are all married off. Laurie and I are on deck. Can't wait.

No comments: