Monday, November 24, 2008

Wonder. Fear. Love.

These emotions, from what I can tell after just two weeks, constitute the primary colors of parenthood. More often than not they are in various proportion to one another providing an endless array of feelings at any given moment I'm with my son. But there have been moments when I have experienced each in its purest form, absent from the others. Wonder is all I felt when I heard his first cough followed by the tiny wail announcing his arrival. Ice cold fear gripped me when I woke up in the middle of the night and thought I heard him choking over the baby monitor. And love? I'm sure it will come as no shock to learn that I find undiluted love to be the most potent and persistent of the three.

If you've yet to see any pictures of our boy, you'll find some here. And if you're wondering why we named him Eli, this post from August 2005 should offer some insight. More later. My boy is currently screaming his head off and its daddy's turn to give him the bottle.

No comments: