Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Mamet Gets It

It's rare that I post twice in the same day, but I just finished watching David Mamet's Spartan again for the third or fourth time. It has always been one of my favorite films but it just got shot up the list even further. Actually it's my esteem for Mamet that is even greater. Why?

I've always liked the film because the writing and action scenes, like real life, don't wait around for you to catch up. It assumes you're as smart or smarter than it is and can keep up without back story or stupid dialogue where characters, that maybe are supposed to be elite soldiers, suddenly feel the need to ask if a regularly used acronym in their lexicon really means what it does so the "stupid" audience understands. It makes my teeth hurt.

So, as I'm watching one of the final scenes, that is supposed to be taking place in an aircraft hangar in Dubai, I noticed something--or the lack of something I should say. In every instance that an airplane appeared in the background, the tail registration is either blurred out of focus or hidden from view by the frame or a prop. That's because the hangar was really in L.A. and all the airplanes had American registration numbers. Mamet obviously holds his audience in high enough regard to assume they might be savvy enough to notice an American "N" number in a hangar that's supposed to be in Dubai.

Very cool.

2 comments:

Marty McKee said...

Geez, how come you guys didn't listen to me when the movie first came out and I gave it a rave review in The Paper and I urged you to see it?

Not related to SPARTAN, but to something you touched upon about underestimating an audience. On PRISON BREAK this week, there was a prison riot where the governor's daughter was trapped inside. The governor had talked on the phone to the warden in the previous episode and said, "Get my daughter outta there blah blah blah," you know the drill. So this week, there's a shot of a large motorcade...police motorcycles, lights, huge limo. The sequence last for probably 45 seconds of the motorcade coming around the bend, entering the gate, music is pounding, obviously this is important. The warden turns to his head guard and says, "That's the governor."

DUH!

Thanks, Fox, I am a dumbass.

Anonymous said...

LD, fix your code.