Wednesday, August 03, 2005

No Donny, these men are nihilists.

Last night I had to replace the daytime running light on the driver's side of my VW GTI. Now you'd think this would be as simple as . . . well. . . changing a light bulb. Not so. I had to remove two covers and wrestle with two retaining clips to even get to the bulb. The whole process took about half an hour because the VW owner's manual would not tell me how to get to the bulb. In place of such instructions was this admonition (I paraphrase): "Due to the fact some components may need to be removed in order to access the bulb in your car we recommend you take your car into a qualified VW service center to have it changed." Naturally I read this as, "You vill do vaht vee zay und you vill like it!" Yeah, well I figured it out on my own ya' frickin' nihilists! (cue the Ray Charles version of "American the Beautiful")

This morning I learned it only took a few seconds to "repair" the space shuttle. Well, it only took a few seconds for the astronaut to pull the exposed gap filler out but I'm sure it took a while to suit up, get strapped to the mechanical arm and maneuvered into position. I hope and pray that this eliminates any threat to their re-entry and they get back safely. Still I couldn't help but be impressed (pissed actually) that it took less time to "fix" the shuttle than it took for me to change a bulb on my car. Frickin' nihilists.

No comments: