Friday, July 15, 2005

SpongeBob Spinach Pusher

As I was laying in bed listening to the news, as I'm wont to do shortly after waking, I heard that Nickelodeon and Viacom were planning on marketing SpongeBob spinach, ostensibly in an effort to get youngsters to eat more of the stuff. I have a better idea. Be a frickin' parent and tell your screaming brat they have a choice between eating their spinach or bedtime. Nine times out of ten spinach will not seem that bad. If it does, take solace in the fact that kids will eat anything once they're hungry enough and long before they starve to death. And if even that doesn't work call a priest and have little Damien exorcised.

What's really funny about this is whoever thought SpongeBob would make a great mascot for healthy eating has obviously never watched the show. SpongeBob's diet consists almost exclusively of Krabby Patties (an undersea version of the Whopper) and Goofy Goober's ice cream. At least that's the way it was in the movie.

I also had to laugh at this quote from Nickelodeon/Viacom VP of Consumer Products, Sherice Torres, "We're thrilled to be able to add to the fun of eating fruits and vegetables." It brought to mind a quote from the SpongeBob movie in which Mr. Krabs was much more forthright when asked why he was opening another Krusty Krab, "I like money."

Get the whole story here.

4 comments:

Marty McKee said...

"Eat your spinach or there'll be no O'Reilly Factor before bed!" That'll work.

You should have made it Cousin Larry and used a photo of the Perfect Strangers guy as your avatar.

Uncle Larry said...

And that's all they need to know.

Uncle Larry said...

Incidentally the title for the blog comes from a comment I frequently get when my nieces think I'm being silly.

I'll see if I can fix the time posting thing.

Uncle Larry said...

I just hope Lujack doesn't come after me.